Initiatives of the LGU to have Ease of Doing Business
The implementation of Executive No. 31 s. 2016 entitled Institutionalizing the Sitting Pretty Campaign signed by Mayor Ferdinand V. Estrella at the start of his term was the foremost leading initiative of Baliwag to have an ease of doing business. The rules and regulations are almost similar with the RA 11032 or Ease of Doing Business Law signed by President Rodrigo R. Duterte in May 2018 therefore, policies were already implemented even before the EODB Law came which include the following:
- Streamlining of the process in the issuance of the business permit making it a one-day application for securing permits in two steps only.
- Using a simplified and unified application form, with one signatory appearing in the permit for both new and renewal.
- A business one-stop shop had been established, accommodating all seekers of business-related permits.
- Automation of the business permit application process allowing online registration. A computerization of BPLO was implemented producing higher business registration (from 2529 in 2016 to 3845 in 2018, 52% increase ) and higher business tax income (from 102.8 million in 2016 to 128 million in 2018, a notable growth of 25%).
- A Joint Inspection team was also created to primarily conduct inspections of business verifying information declared in the application, monitor continuing compliance as to safety standards prescribed by law and identification of unregistered business.
- Creation of Baliwag Investment Promotions Unit through EO. 22 s. 2016. A Local Economic Investment Promotions Officer (LEIPO) was designated as implementer of the Customer Relationship Management Program.
- In compliance with the ARTA Law of 2007, no noon break, no fixer, and no gift policy had been adopted. The Public Assistance & Complaint Center (PACC) serves as the feedback and redress mechanism.
Aside from the Sitting Pretty Campaign, additional initiatives include the following:
- Investing on modern technology having queuing system for front lining offices, installation of CCTVs, and Free WIFI to public places;
- Reactivation of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Baliwag, Inc. to stand as the voice of the Baliwag business community;
- Conduct of trade fairs and product exposition;
- Integration of the issuance of the Barangay Business Clearance in the EBPLS.
- Recognition of Top Taxpayers and launching of High FiVE Badge that commends companies with exemplary performance and engaging the Private sectors in Corporate Social Responsibility activities.
In addition, the Municipality of Baliwag is now ISO 9001:2015 certified audited by TUV Rheinland to ensure the quality of its products and services. This added credibility and value of the organization, increases revenues through gaining more clients who trust the system, improves consistency of processes, increases customer satisfaction and serves as avenue of having empowered employees.
Moreover, to authentically give the business permit clients a Sitting Pretty experience in registering their businesses, Baliwag is eyeing to have one window set-up for transaction of business permit registration upon the opening of the Baliwag Business Center where the BPLO together with Investment Promotions Unit and other utility companies (MERALCO, Baliwag Water District and Telecom Companies), public and private agencies (SSS, PAG-IBIG, LTO, PHILHEALTH, BFP) and concerned departments in the municipality (MENRO, SANITATION, MEO, MPDC) will co-locate to form the new ideal Business One-Stop Shop (BOSS). The establishment will finally open on September of the current year.
Note: Article was an excerpt from the entry of the Municipality of Baliwag at the Most Business-Friendly LGU Awards of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry last October, 2019. Baliwag was hailed as one of the finalists of the said award.
Pictures were taken at the on-going business permit registration which started last January 2, 2020.
Reminder to all business tax payers: Renewal of business permit is until January 20, 2020.
We also accept application and payments of cedula, RPT, locational clearance, building and occupancy permit, BFP certificates and all other business-related permits and clearances (also cemetery fees).
Now we can say, it’s all in at the Baliwag Business Center.
Baliwag Business Center is located at Barangay Pagala, DRT Highway, Baliwag, Bulacan (in front of SM City).