BALIWAG, BULACAN. Last December 17, 2019, LGU Baliwag Mayor Ferdinand V. Estrella signed Executive Order (EO) No. 057, s. 2019 entitled Streamlining the Processes for the Issuance of Building Permits and Certificates of Occupancy by Setting Standards for Processing in the Municipality of Baliwag, Province of Bulacan.
This is in line with Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) and Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Joint Memorandum Circular (JMC) No. 01, series of 2018 setting service standards in processing building permits and certificates of occupancy by local government units (LGUs) as well as to provide guidelines in the streamlining of relevant processes related thereto, consistent with the provisions of the existing laws, rules and regulations; clarify the roles and responsibilities of DILG, DPWH, DICT, DTI, BFP, and concerned offices and departments of cities/municipalities in ensuring the implementation of the necessary activities for the streamlining of subject processes.
In response thereto, Mayor Ferdie initially issued Administrative Order (AO) No. 014, series of 2019 creating a Technical Working Group (TWG) for the organization of the One-Stop Shop for Construction Permit in the Municipality in adherence to the cited JMC.
Section 4 of EO 057, s. 2019 provides One-Stop Shop Construction-Related Applications, which states:
- The Baliwag Business Center located at DRT Highway, Brgy. Pagala shall be designated as the One-stop Shop for Construction Permits (OSCP) of the Municipality.
For this purpose, the OBO, in coordination with the Municipal Administrator, will provide frontline services to applicants related to building permits and certificates of occupancy application.
- The OSCP shall have the following functions:a. Receive applications and documents for building permits and certificates of occupancy;
b. Coordinate and facilitate the conduct of technical reviews by the concerned departments of the municipality (e.g. Zoning Office, Barangay Official) and the local BFP;
c. Facilitate the retrieval of documentary requirements for building permit and certificate of occupancy that will be part of the OSCP backroom operation, such as the tax declaration, current receipt of real property tax payments in coordination with concerned municipal departments;
d. Implement a one-time assessment of fees and charges related to applications for building permits and certificates of occupancy in coordination with the BFP, the Zoning Officer, the Assessor’s Office, the Treasurer’s Office and the OBO;
e. Coordinate the conduct of joint inspections by the OBO, the Assessor’s Office and the BFP;
f. Receive payment of all related fees and charges in coordination with the BFP and the OBO; and
g. Release building permit or certificate of occupancy.
The physical layout of the OSCP will allow a four-step process for both applications for building permit and certificates of occupancy.It includes a backroom operation with space provided for co-locating agencies like the local BFP and departments/offices of the municipality concerned with evaluation of construction-related permits.
For its realization, the EO stated in one of its provisions Automation/Computerization of Processes, to wit:
- For efficient and effective implementation of this order, the Municipal Information and Communication Technology Office (MICTO) is enjoined to automate/computerize related processes in the issuance of building permits and certificates of occupancy which may include, among others, the following:
- Filing of application;
- Storage and retrieval of application forms and documents;
- Payment of fees and charges;
- Issuance of permits and certificates; and
- Database sharing among the OBO and other involved entities of the local government, i.e., Municipal Planning and Development Office (MPDO), Zoning Office (Z0), Municipal Treasurer’s Office (MTO), Municipal Assessor’s Office (MAO), Business Permit and Licensing Office (BPLO), and with the BFP.
- The MICTO are enjoined to develop a web-based Building Permit Application System that would allow online application and processing of building permits and certificates of occupancy.
The online application shall be reviewed and approved by the DICT and then he integrated in the National government Portal.
With EO 057, s. 2019 (and EO 058, s. 2019), the Citizens Charter of the Business Permit and Licensing Office (BPLO) has been impliedly amended. The required documents for application of Business Permits, both for new and renewal, have been reduced.
For New Business Permit Application, together with the application form, it is required to submit proof of registration of business like DTI Certificate of Registration (for Sole Proprietorship), SEC Certificate of Registration (for Corporation) and CDA Certificate of Registration (for Cooperative).
For Business Permit Renewal, it is a requirement to submit a basis for computation of tax, fees and other charges like duly notarized Certificate of Gross Sales, or ITR issued by the BIR. For those leasing in the Public Market, it is an additional requirement to submit a certification from its administrator. END.
By Digong Baliwag.